More Miami Shores News from Miami Shores City Council member, Jesse Walters. Although the Council's agenda is public, there is no easy way to access it and I love that we get some inside knowledge directly from Jesse. Just helps to know our "village beautiful" a little better.
This is my quarterly e-mail to update you on issues related to Miami Shores government.
Council is in recess for August (don't ask me why!) but I have been busy trying to keep us focused on actually doing things and improving the business climate at the same time. I promise to be brief:
- In case you did not hear, we voted in the Spring to allow movies to be shown again in Miami Shores. The Miami Theater Center (formerly Playground Theatre) will show its first movie in decades on Saturday, October 13 at 7:00 PM!
- On April 3 I was the sole "no" vote on a motion to raise local business tax fees. It passed. I promised to vote against any tax increases.
- On July 3 I seconded a motion by Mayor Jim McCoy to remove a member of the Code Enforcement Board who I felt was repeatedly disrespectful to residents who came before him. This motion failed 2-3.
- A motion was subsequently made to at least censure this individual, and I voted for this motion.
- In July we reviewed the new budget. Millage remains at 8%. There will be no tax increase.
- I joined the management of the 9999 Building and our Village Manager in asking the County Traffic Department to urge that NE 2nd Avenue be re-painted to better clarify the permissibility of parallel parking.
Please call or e-mail me anytime I can be of assistance with a constituent issue. I have handled many the past quarter and would be happy to assist you with any concern you have.
Thank you for your support!
Jesse Walters, Village Councilman
Click here to search today's Miami Shores homes for sale